Little details about the house








Mondrian-style design on front door, designed and added later by original owner















Built-in kitchen table; parquet floor











One of two original light fixtures in living room













Cute kitchen plaque; means "good at everything." (Special thanks to ChimayBleue on Flickr for the translation!)










Naugahyde lounge pillows












Original Arro radiant heating instructions














Original radiant heating system















Original CoolAir cooling system

















Apparently original tile in master bathroom








Arcadia door handle

6 comments:

girlplusdog said...

I love all these details especially the front door! I think maybe the Eames also used Mondrian style patterns for their Case Study houses. Or maybe I just made that up.

Jezzka said...

it's retro to the metro, baby!

Ben Munson said...

Hi, I'm the grandson of the original homeowners and I thought you would like to know that the Mondrian door was not an original feature of the house. My grandfather designed and added that later on.

Gretchen said...

Hi Ben! I'm going to guess your grandfather did the door around the same time as the 1962 addition? Everyone always notices and loves it. Welcome and feel free to add lots of comments on this site.

Ben Munson said...

Thanks Gretchen. I'll perk up with anything interesting and relevant that I know about the house and its former residents. My recollections about the house itself are almost purely cultural and visual, but I had a specific conversation with my grandfather about the door. He was proud of his reverse-engineering of Mondrian's style.

Gretchen said...

I think you should have your own special entry here, Ben! Think about it -- would love any stories and pix.