Solvent + static electricity = Eichler fire?

While this did not happen in Sacramento I feel it is a significant and important issue and thus have decided to post.

My heart goes out to the worker who was burned and to the family who lost their Eichler home in Palo Alto on December 16, 2008.


A worker was using solvent on the walls and the spark was reportedly caused by rubbing. The solvent also acted as an accelerator for the flames. So terrible and sad!

I was informed by a neighbor here in the South Land Park Hills tract that at one point there was once an Eichler on our street that has since been replaced by a conventional home. Reportedly, it burned down in just 20 minutes!

More on the Palo Alto fire here. I will be following this story and issue; will post if further details follow.

1 comment:

eichler said...

Absolutely tragic...couldn't happen at a worse time of the year. Fortunately the family is OK and hopefully things will work out for them in the new year. Looks like they had a great remodel underway.