Spirits of Xmas Past

While I'm toiling away in my workshop on other MCM posts, I thought I'd share some of my mid-century family holiday pictures. I realize it is rare for me to get personal here but 'tis the season!


My grandfather, 12.25.43

My grandmother took this picture of my grandfather
outside his Officer's Candidate School on Christmas Day, 1943.
He was an attorney in the Army during WWII.


My grandparents in Mexico, 12.6.44

My grandfather asked to be stationed in Los Angeles;
I believe they took a little vacation to Mexico near the holidays in 1944.
I was primarily raised by my grandparents and love this picture!


My mom, 12.25.51

My mom, Christmas Day, 1951. Living the Boomer childhood. Yippee Ki Yay!

 
Me, 1964

My early childhood wasn't documented that well, so I'm happy to
have these few photos to show you; especially the ones of my brother.

This is me, close to my first birthday.
Check out Santa's Mod chair and tree!


My brother and me, 1966

 My little brother and me, 1966. Sadly, this was his last Christmas.


My brother, 1966

He was a happy guy! Not quite 2 years old in this 1966 photo.
He was only 2.5 when he died (8 months after this picture was taken).


Hand-beaded Christmas tree made by my grandmother

In 1973, while I was away at camp, my grandmother made this
and surprised me with it later that year. She made beaded flowers
as a hobby. This took her weeks to make. A labor of love!
 She never admitted this but I know she was beginning
to lose her eyesight back then.


Detail, beaded tree

My favorite detail on the beaded tree: the candy canes!

My household now celebrates a different holiday this season but I still treasure these memories and special times. Hope you have fond memories of your holidays past.

9 comments:

Barbara said...

Don't feel bad. I was a complete accident, coming into the family 7 years after the last addition. There isn't a picture of me until I'm six months, and then only sporadically after that. And once I hit my teens? None at all. I guess my parents were so tired from raising boys that even having a girl didn't make them grab the camera!!!

Gretchen said...

Awwww, Barbara! I can relate to being a tired parent! Luckily for me digital cameras exist. I guess having very few pix makes us treasure the ones we have even more ;)

desertbackroadfiend said...

I adore this post, your pictures and stories, and the memories it all evokes of my own strange upbringing. Much love to you during the holidays. I think of you often and hope to see you soon in the desert. Kiss that gorgeous family and tell them the coyotes say hello.

~KT

Gretchen said...

Love and hugs back KT! We hope to make it back to PS/JT. It would be wonderful to see you and GT again!

jamie@midcenturymania said...

The tree is absolutely amazing. I've never seen anything like it. So sorry your time with your little brother was so short. Those are very sweet pictures to cherish. The photo of your mom on the rocking horse is a classic.

Michelle said...

Gretchen--love these pictures! Your love for your family is evident!

Your grandmother sounded like she was a treasure!!

Gretchen said...

Thanks for your kind words, MidCentury Madam.

And you're right, Michelle; my grandmother was indeed a treasure!

Unknown said...

Funny how absolutely precious those things are, isn't it? Precious, precious pics. Love to you!

Gretchen said...

Thanks and love to you, Amanda!