Articles regarding Sacramento Eichlers

I'm finding very little has been written regarding our small enclave here in Sacramento. However, here are a few articles, which of course feature local Eichler enthusiast and owner Dane Henas :)

Please see links below, some which are in Adobe Acrobat (pdf) format.

Nabbing an Eichler - Inside Publications Feb 2005 (download "home+matters.pdf")


A Home Visionary - Inside Publications Jan 2005 (download "home+matters-eichler+homes.pdf")

SacBee article 11.13.04 featuring cool Eichler and Streng homes Courtesy of Pariarts' Martiniland.

Sacramento’s Eichlers or “Oh, is that what those are?” Page 6. July 2004 (download "July 04.pdf")

1 comment:

Dane Henas said...

Hey Gretchen,

Congrats on the house and the new blog--as if you don't already have a full plate! It's hard to believe I've been in my Eichler for coming on 5 years already! It's been a real adventure, and a lot of fun researching them. Like it says in a couple of the articles you posted, I wasn't sure about how "authentic" I wanted to restore it, but after scraping away little patches of paint here and there and putting together a mental picture of how the colors and textures went together (along with some trips down to Palo Alto to look at Eichlers from the same era) I came to the conclusion that there was reason to the scheme! The dark ceiling minimized the uneven gaps between the redwood planks. The black Zolatone on the kitchen cabinets covered the "sins" of the cheap plywood construction! Great design, not-so-great materials became a theme!

After I bought it and got the keys, I did a walk through bt myself and almost cried. "What am I getting myself into?" The place was a mess, but it was all there and all original. That is a great place to start, and that's pretty much where yours is--you've even got the original kitchen cabinets--and--they're not out in the garage!

Congratulations again and anything I can do to help, I'm there! Been there--done that!

Dane